Contact Info

My photo
Zinder/Matameye, Niger
Corps de la Paix B.P. 14 Matameye, Niger

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Let's Build a School Together

Greetings Everyone!
Wow, it has been far too long since I've updated the blog. I've been quite busy as of late, which is a very good thing! I've been planting trees with my students, having a girls fair for 15 girls from the Matameye sub-region, and now we're getting ready for the upcoming farming season.

In addition the keeping busy with smaller projects, for the past six months my villagers and I have been getting the wheels moving on the construction of a classroom for our youngest students in the village.

My villagers have been awesome in demonstrating their effort and desire to get a classroom built. They have been holding meetings and making work schedules for the families to provide water, sand, gravel and labor during the building process. We are now at the part where you can help. Since my villagers are subsistance farmers, rarely generating income beyond what they need to feed and clothe their families, funding the construction of a school is not possible for the villagers of Gourmey.

Lots of family and friends have inquired about what they can do to help either me or my villagers. The opportunity to do so is here!

Currently our youngest students are attending school in this shack:

















The students are exposed to the sun, wind, rain, blowing sand, and believe it or not the cold throughout the year. This discourages students from attending class, and being distracted while they are there. Our goal is to provide the students with an environment that will promote learning. After being in Niger for a year and a half, I believe that educating its young people is Niger's greatest hope for improving the quality of life for all Nigeriens.

If you, your co-workers, family, friends, church groups, civic groups, etc. have any interest in contributing to the construction of our classroom, my villagers and I will be eternally grateful!

Click here to make a tax deductible donation!

The link will lead you right to my project's listing, no amount is too small, every dollar will get us closer to our goal. If you have any questions about the project or logistics of donating please feel free to contact me at jamieinniger@hotmail.com . Feel free to pass this website along to anyone you think may be intersted in donating (http://www.jamieinniger.blogspot.com/)

Together, with your help, we can get this classroom built in time for the upcoming school year.

I'd like to thank everyone who has provided me with support for projects, encouragement, letters, and care package during this past year and a half. Kind words of support have helped me get through the rough patches, and have encouraged me to keep giving it my all when I wasn't so sure of myself. I thank you sincerely for all you have given thus far.

Lots of you have sent care packages for me and my villagers. If anyone was still thinking of sending one, consider donating to the school instead. As much as I love getting a magazine or dried fruit and M&M's from home, getting this school built means the world to me and my village.

On behalf of myself and the villagers of Gourmey we send sincere thanks your way,

Jamie

1 comment:

NIGER1.COM said...

very good idea ,
I manage http://www.niger1.com by the way
and my email is niger1.com@gmail.com
I could mention it to my audience